If you are suffering with symptoms of EHS, think your health is suffering because of electromagnetic and wireless exposure, or you wish to instigate precautionary measures for your family, then avoid EMF radiation as much as you can in the home and workplace. Doctors and specialists and experts all agree that the key requirement for dealing with EHS is AVOIDANCE of emf radiation. Every little bit of reduction counts with electromagnetic and microwave exposure. Remember exposure is accumulative so start at home.
In the Home
Consider having a professional EMR Survey in your home, or investing in detection meters to measure microwave wireless and electric and magnetic fields. See Help page for details of suppliers
- Do not use wifi – replace with hardwired ethernet connection. Simply connect to the internet using an ethernet cable, and disable wifi on router and computer (see here for simple solutions). If wifi does not turn off at router, you should ring your service provider, who can disable the wifi function. If you need to use wifi, ensure the router/modem is as far as possible from your body and turn it off when not in use, especially at night-time. Ensure that you turn off the wifi on your computer (tablet) and not just the router. Use a wired mouse and keyboard. If your printer has a wireless function, make sure to turn it off.
- Replace cordless landline phones with corded phones. Most cordless (DECT) phones emit high microwave radiation even when not making a call.
- Do not use a mobile/smart phone. Use a corded landline instead.
- If you have to use a mobile phone – Text rather than call. Disable wifi settings. Use an air tube headset if you have to make calls or use the speaker phone facility – ordinary headsets also emit high radiation directly to your head. When not using your mobile phone, keep in airplane mode (with Wi-Fi turned off) so it does not radiate.
- Keep phone out of pockets and away from your body as much as possible. All mobiles emit radiation even on standby, and smart phones even when turned off.
- Don’t use a microwave oven. Most ovens are not sealed correctly and emit very high level of radiation when in use.
- Replace CFL (eco-bulbs) and fluorescent bulbs with incandescent bulbs or halogen bulbs, and remove dimmer switches as they cause Dirty Electricity. LED lights can also be a problem for people, as some of these emit higher EMFs than others, so avoid these if you can.
- Keep laptops off your lap. Even if you are using a wired internet connection, the electric and magnetic fields from the laptop can be very strong.
- Ask friends and family to turn their wifi and cordless phones off when you visit. Similarly to turn off their mobiles phones when they visit you, (put on airplane mode first).
- Do not use any wireless devices in your home, including remote home energy systems, smart heating systems, wireless alarms, wireless doorbells and wireless dehumidifiers.
- Do not have a Smart Meter installed – you can not turn if off.
- Distance yourself from sources of electric and magnetic fields in your home/workplace. Do not sit or sleep near large appliances, fuse boxes, electric wiring.
- You may need to talk to your neighbours about their WiFi and cordless phones – they can have a range of up to 300m into your home, bedrooms etc.
- To block radiation from nearby mobile phone masts, tetra, neighbouring wifi and cordless phones, we recommend looking at shielding options for your home, ie, shielding paint, wallpapers and fabrics. Bedroom canopies are also a good idea, as it is crucial to your health to protect your body from EMFs while sleeping. See suppliers on our Help Page
- Outside the home, avoid as much as possible areas with wifi and mobile phone masts and antennae
In the Bedroom
- Keep Technology out of the bedroom.
- Do not use electric blankets. If you need to use an electric blanket, unplug it after it has warmed the bed. This eliminates the electric and magnetic fields generated by these blankets. If you turn the electric blanket off but leave it plugged in, it will still generate an electric field.
- Remove electric clocks and other electrical devices from near your bed. Make sure the head of your bed is not near a socket. Turn Bedroom Power Off: Consider turning off the power (at the electrical panel) to your bedroom (and adjacent rooms) while you sleep. Alternatively you can use a demand switch, which needs to be fitted by a qualified electrician.
- Sleep on a non-metal sprung bed (the metal in spring beds can hold magnetic fields which act as antenna, exposing you to harmful EMF while you sleep).
In the Car or Travelling
- Do not use a phone or wirless device when you are in a moving vehicle. When you are in a bus, train, car etc the phone or wifi antenna is working at maximum radiation to maintain communication with many mobile phone towers on the journey. The metal enclosure traps most of the radiation inside the vehicle causing the Faraday cage effect. see below
Avoid using your cell phone in a parked car. Your car is an enclosed metal container and as such when a phone or wireless device is used in the interior you are exposing yourself to what the scientists call the Faraday cage effect. The Faraday cage effect works a bit like a microwave oven, the signals bouncing around the vehicle passing through your body (and passengers) several times.
- Have Bluetooth and wireless systems disabled if in your car.
Excellent and practical advice from Dr Erica Mallery-Blythe on how to reduce your exposure at home and at work, shield yourself and your home, hardwire your computer and protect yourself etc ….
Survey your Surroundings
- Consider having an EMF survey of your home/workplace done. See here for details.
- Or invest in your own meters to investigate your surroundings. More Details here.
Nutrition, Exercise and Natural Therapies
- As with all illnesses, it is crucial to have a healthy diet and lifestyle to support your body and strengthen your immune system. Drink clean filtered water and avoid chemicals and additives in your diet. Eat organic foods. Read here about toxic Fluoride added to irish water.
- Research shows that natural supplements and foods can provide some protection to the body against EMF radiation – Seek advice from a nutritionalist and environmental medical expert. Read more about nutritional support here
- This website also provides helpful advice on treatment and for ES sufferers. EMFAnalysis.
- Wear clothing with natural fibres, not synthetics, to avoid static build up. Don’t wear metal jewellery as these can ask as a conductor for EMFs.
- Heavy metals in some foods from pesticides, as well as mercury in amalgam fillings, can make your electrosensitivity worse. Detox your body from heavy metals and consider having any amalgam fillings removed. This must be done by a specialist dentist using safe removal procedures and there are some in Ireland. Heavy Metals Toxicity & EMFs
We recommend making contacting with other EHS sufferers to get support and information, and what other people may have found effective for them or not. See our HELP PAGE for Support Groups and Forums